Thursday, April 27, 2017

Nauvoo Field Trip Reflection

For our 2017 Goal field trip we went to Nauvoo, Illinois. It has a really amazing re-creation of what life was like back in the 1840's when the Mormons lived there. I enjoyed our trip a lot and I learned a bunch of new things too.
My favorite part of the trip was the blacksmith's shop. There we learned that since the Mormons had to travel all the way to the rocky mountains, the blacksmiths had to make all of the wheels and everything for the wagons. The most interesting part that I learned in there was that the blacksmiths made all of the wagon's wheels identical so that all of the spare wheels would fit any of the wagons. I also learned about a story where a boy and a girl fell in love. When the boy asked the girl to marry him she told him that her father would only let her marry someone who gave her a diamond ring. Since they where in the middle of the prairie, you couldn't really get a diamond around there. The boy then went to his father because he didn't know what to do. His father told him to go the the blacksmiths and see if they had any ideas. When he went there, the blacksmiths gave him a horseshoe nail that was bent to look like a ring. He gave that to the girl and when she showed it to her father, her father said that any boy that was smart enough to do that would be good enough for his daughter.
Something new that I learned about the pioneers was that they made their own bricks. The pioneers made the bricks out of clay, sand, and a little bit of water. Then they put the "pug" (the mixture) into a mold. After that they took it out and day by day they turned the bricks over in the sunlight to get all of the moisture out of them. Finally they built these huge clamps using the bricks and built a fire underneath, still trying to get all of the moisture out. The "baking" would go on for weeks, drying every single drop of water out. The whole process was just about making the bricks the strongest that they could be.
Something that I learned about why the Mormons moved west in the 1840's was that they left because they were being persecuted. They ultimately didn't want to have a civil war because the people around them thought that they were too different in the way that they worshiped and in what they believed in. Everything was getting too violent so they had to leave.
If I had to choose one thing that I saw or heard to learn more about I would want to learn about what the jobs of just regular kids growing up were. I would want to learn about this because I think it would be cool to see how much our everything has changed. Also because I want to know how different we do things and what we have now that the Mormons didn't have. I know that candle making was one of the girl's jobs but what other jobs did they do?
There you have it, everything that I learned in Nauvoo. Again, it was a really amazing place to take a field trip to, and it was super historical place. I had a lot of fun there!

2 comments:

  1. Reading this I do agree. What about the other kid jobs? I actually would never think of that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think anyone could have summed up the trip better.

    ReplyDelete

Iowa State OPPTAG Experience Reflection

Our GOAL class right after our classes.  My first class was DNA smoothie. There we learned about biotechnology, and how humans share 7...